There are tons of different ways to promote a podcast.
Some are fairly easy and don’t require a lot of effort, while some might take a bit more time.
I’ve tried to include a variety of different podcast marketing tactics so that you can pick and choose what makes sense for you.
I recommend choosing one or two simple podcast promotion methods (the first 2 are great starting points if you don’t already do them) and then coming back to add methods to your marketing mix.
7 Easy ways to promote your Podcast | How to promote podcast
Ask people to subscribe
Sounds simple but new subscribers are the most important factor in ranking higher in Apple Podcasts (formerly iTunes).
It also means listeners will automatically down new episodes when they’re published.
Submit to Podcast Directories
Apple Podcasts is the big player but Spotify and Google are quickly gaining ground as the go-to place where people find and listen to podcasts.
It’s important to have your podcast listed in as many places as possible (and they’re all free).
Leverage existing Assets
If you have a website or email list, those are great ways to let your existing audience know about your podcast.
Share reviews & testimonials
People love to hear their name on their Favorite show!
This is a simple tactic that creates a virtuous cycle of new engagement.
The example below uses a Q&A segment, but can easily be done with reviews or testimonials as well.
Here are the steps:
- Ask people to tag or @ you on social when they ask questions (friends and followers will be able to find you and learn more)
- People like to hear their names spoken online – so once you mention someone, they will be much more likely to share that episode
- Their friends likely have similar interests and will want to check out the show
- Other listers will want to have their question said aloud (and get an answer of course)
It may take time to grow, but there are a number of benefits: It’s a natural and easy way to get engagement, grow your podcast audience, and grow your social media channels – all at the same time!
Create a website
I know many of the Podcast hosting providers offer a basic website, but if you really want to grow your show starting a blog, is the way to go.
There are several reasons why: 7 Easy ways to promote your Podcast | How to promote podcast
- Share-ability – it’s still easier to share a blog post instead of a proprietary Apple or Google podcast link
- SEO – written word (blog posts, for example) are still king on Google. That may change at some point, but for now you need to write.
- Multiple audiences – there isn’t always a lot of overlap between your podcast audience and your blog audience. That means you’ll reach many new people by publishing both written and spoken content.
- Email – in order to build an email list, you’ll need your own website to send them to
You can embed a podcast player on individual posts or display a playlist player on a more general page about your podcast so people can listen on your website as well.
When you create, record, and start a podcast, you have to get it out there for people to discover and listen to.
If you are considering starting your own Podcast to amplify your voice and messages of impact, I have just launched my Podcasting Profits Secrets Course, that takes you step by step to go from concept to Launch